Specialised Paediatric Hospital & Neonatal Care at Fortis Hospitals, Mumbai
Paediatrics is the branch of medicine dealing with the medical care of infants, children and adolescents. Neonatology is a sub-specialty involving care of newborns, especially premature or ill newborns. Children are physiologically different from adults hence the concerns of a paediatrician like congenital defects, developmental issues and so on, are greater than for a physician treating an adult. Scientific advances and technology have enabled the treatment of complex diseases and conditions however research is ongoing to understand the factors affecting decisions regarding diagnosis and treatment of the paediatric population.
Fortis Hospitals, Mumbai Paediatrics and Neonatology Department offers comprehensive child care for diagnosis and treatment across a wide range of complicated ailments. The Department provides children and their families access to the latest medical treatments and state-of-the-art technology in a safe, nurturing, patient-friendly environment. Fortis Hospital provides high-quality, specialised care over a spectrum of conditions not restricted to a single speciality namely paediatric - cardiology, critical care, endocrinology, infectious disease, neurology, oncology, pulmonology and so on.
We are recognised in the city for our dedicated, paediatric and neonatal intensive care units (PICU & NICU), which are fully equipped to manage critically ill babies, newborns and children.
A multi-disciplinary, collaborative approach is utilised in creating a child-centred experience:
- Paediatric surgeons including transplant
- Paediatric (cardiologists, endocrinologists, intensivists, neurologists, oncologists, pulmonologists etc.)
- Well-trained paediatric and neonatal nurses, clinical nutritionists and social workers
The team is ably supported by anaesthetists, infectious diseases specialists, radiologists and clinical pharmacologists.
Areas of Neonatal & Pediatric Care
- Paediatric Cardiology
- Paediatric Endocrinology
- Paediatric Gastroenterologist
- Paediatric Intensive care
- Neonatal Intensive care
- Paediatric Nephrology
- Paediatric Neurology
- Paediatric Oncology
- Paediatric Orthopaedic
- Paediatric Pulmonology and so on
Pediatric Diagnosis, Treatments & Surgeries Available at Fortis Hospital, Mumbai
Diagnosis of Neonatal problems through assessment of growth & gestational age
It is important to know the infant’s gestational age because normal behaviour and possible medical problems can be predicted on this basis. The date of the last menstrual period is the best indicator of gestational age with early fetal ultrasound providing supporting information. Postnatal physical characteristics and neurologic development are also clues to gestational age.
At Fortis Hospitals Mumbai we treat and diagnose various neonatal and pediatric problems.
- Autoimmune disorders like multiple sclerosis
- Behavioural disorders (ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, sleep problems)
- Bronchial asthma
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Gastro-intestinal reflux
- Growth disorders
- Hormone deficiency
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Lung disease
- Neonatal (premature birth, jaundice, sepsis, bowel obstruction, hepatitis, respiratory distress)
- Puberty disorders
- Treatment for haematological (blood-related) cancer
- Abdominal wall defects: gastroschisis, hernias
- Congenital malformations: ASD/VSD (heart-related), lymphangioma, cleft lip and palate, oesophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, intestinal atresia, intestinal malrotation necrotizing enterocolitis, Hirschsprung's disease, undescended testes, testicular torsion
- Chest wall deformities: pectus excavatum
- Childhood tumours: neuroblastoma, Wilms' tumour, ATRT, liver tumours, teratomas
- Transplant: bone marrow, cornea, heart, kidney, liver, lung, pancreas