Mouth Cancer Hospital in Mumbai, India
Oral cancer is a significant public health issue in India, affecting a large population. It is the most common type of cancer among males and the fourth most common cancer among females in the country. Tobacco use is the biggest risk factor for oral cancer. According to Gaston third of the Indian adult population consume tobacco thus incidence of oral cancer is on the rise. However oral cavity cancers have high cure rates if detected early. Oral cancer is a form of cancer that begins in the tissues of the mouth. A type of head and neck cancer, oral cancer can appear anywhere in the mouth - including the lips, tongue, the inside of the cheeks, palate, the gums, the jaw etc.
Fortis Mumbai - Best Hospitals for Mouth Cancer in India
Oral cancer, which usually occurs as a growth or sore in the mouth that won’t heal, can be life-threatening if not detected and treated promptly. Fortis Hospitals, Mumbai, is considd as one of the best facilities for mouth cancer. The centre’s oral cancer department is equipped with cutting-edge diagnostic and surgical facilities for excellent outcomes. Fortis houses some of the best-known and most experienced oncologists and oncosurgeons who have given a new lease of life to patients with oral cancer. Our experts are well-known for performing the most intricate head and neck surgeries, including complex reconstructive procedures to rebuild the mouth and face in patients with large oral cancers.
Fortis offers comprehensive care for all types of oral cancer delivered in a comfortable and supportive environment -- chemotherapy, highly focused forms of radiation therapy such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy, complex reconstructive surgical therapies such as free tissue transfer or free flaps to rebuild the mouth and face for patients with large mouth cancers.
Oral Cancer Diagnosis at Fortis Hospitals Mumbai
Test and procedures commonly used to diagnose oral cancer include:
1. Physical exam: A doctor or dentist will perform a physical examination of a person’s mouth to check for symptoms and abnormalities.
2. Biopsy test: A brush biopsy (a painless test that collects cells using a special brush) or a tissue biopsy (removing a piece of tissue to check for cancerous cells) may be performed, if the doctor finds any tumours or suspicious lesions. schedule a biopsy test now.
If the biopsy indicates oral cancer, the doctor will work on the next step - i.e. determining the stage of cancer by performing one or more of the following tests:
3. Imaging tests such as X-rays, MRI, CT scan, and PET scan to see if cancer cells have spread beyond the mouth.
An endoscopy to examine sinuses, nasal passages, inner throat, windpipe, and trachea to check for any abnormal cell growth or find out if cancer has spread.
Click here to schedule your mouth cancer screening test at Fortis Hospital Mulund.
Mouth Cancer Treatments at Fortis Hospital Mumbai, India
Mouth cancer treatment options include - oncosurgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, etc. At Fortis Mumbai, our head and neck oncologists will prescribe the best treatment plan for each patient, depending on the type, location and stage of mouth cancer.
- Surgery: A patient may be recommended surgery to remove a tumour or cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes in the neck. Fortis is a pioneer in performing complex reconstructive surgical therapies such as free tissue transfer or free flaps to rebuild the mouth and face, helping patients regain the ability to talk and eat.
- Radiation therapy: Another treatment option that uses high-energy beams to kill cancer cells. Fortis is well-equipped with the futuristic linear accelerator machine to provide two specific types of radiation therapy - external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) which includes accelerated and hypofractionated radiation therapy and intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT); and Brachytherapy, also known as internal radiation.
- Chemotherapy: A treatment that uses drugs to kill cancer cells. A doctor may recommend combining chemotherapy with radiation therapy if cancer is widespread.
- Targeted drug therapy: Targeted drugs work by altering specific aspects of cancer cells that fuel their growth.
- Immunotherapy: This type of treatment the patient’s immune system fight cancer.
Mouth Cancer Specialists Team at Fortis Mumbai
Our multi-disciplinary team of experts work together to achieve the best outcome for each patient. The team includes a wide range of specialists such as:
- Head and neck surgeons
- Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Plastic and Reconstructive surgeons
- Maxillofacial prosthodontist
- Oncology nurses, radiotherapists, physiotherapists, clinical nutritionists, psychologists, counsellors, experts in speech-language, and social workers.
The team also works closely with other specialists like neurologists, infectious diseases specialists, pathologists, anaesthetists, intensive care specialists, radiologists and clinical pharmacologists.
Why Choose Fortis Hospital Mumbai for Mouth Cancer Treatment in Mumbai, India?
When it comes to precise diagnosis of oral cancers, Fortis Hospital Mulund has highly advanced diagnostic and imaging equipment which includes the sentinel node biopsy to discern if cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Fortis Hospital Mulund is efficiently equipped with the futuristic linear accelerator machine to provide two specific types of radiation therapy – external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) which includes Accelerated and hyperfractionated radiation therapy and Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT); and Brachytherapy also known as internal radiation.
Visit our Best Oral Cancer Hospitals in Mumbai, India
Fortis Hospital Mulund, Mumbai
Mulund Goregaon Link Road, Mulund-West, Mumbai, 400078
Fortis Hiranandani Hospital Vashi, Navi Mumbai
Mini Sea Shore Road, Sector 10, Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400703
Fortis Hospital Kalyan, Thane
Shill Road, Bail Bazaar, Kalyan, Mumbai, 421301
S L Raheja Hospital - A Fortis Associate Mahim, Mumbai
Raheja Rugnalaya Marg, Mahim (W), Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400016