Breast Cancer Care - Diagnosis & Treatment At Fortis Hospitals Mumbai
Following are some tests and procedures that may be used to diagnose breast cancer:
- Breast exam: Your doctor will check the breasts for lumps and other abnormalities.
- Mammogram: A type of X-ray that produces images, helping a doctor detect any lumps or abnormalities.
- Ultrasound: This scan uses sound waves to help a doctor differentiate between a solid mass such as a tumour and a fluid-filled cyst.
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): MRI combines different images of the breast to help a doctor identify breast cancer.
- Breast biopsy: Your doctor extracts a tissue sample from the suspicious area to have it tested for cancer.
After breast cancer is diagnosed, your doctor will work to establish the extent (stage) of your cancer. Staging breast cancer helps determine a person’s chances of recovery and their best treatment options.
As a frontrunner in the breast cancer care in Mumbai, Fortis offers a variety of treatment options, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy drugs, etc.
The type of treatments you receive will depend on various factors, including -
- the type and stage of the cancer
- the person’s age, overall health and preferences
- whether cancer cells are sensitive to hormones, etc.
Surgery: Several types of surgery may be used to remove cancer, including:
- Lumpectomy - this procedure removes the tumour and a small amount of surrounding tissue, leaving the rest of the breast intact.
- Mastectomy - this procedure involves removing the entire breast.
Other surgical procedures include sentinel node biopsy, axillary lymph node dissection, and reconstruction.
Chemotherapy: Often used along with other treatments, especially surgery, it is a drug treatment used to kill cancer cells.
Radiation therapy: It uses high doses of radiation to target and kill cancer cells.
Hormone therapy: It slows or stops the growth of cancer cells using hormones to grow.
Immunotherapy: It uses your immune system to fight cancer
Targeted therapy: It uses drugs to destroy specific abnormalities within cancer cells.
Our care team in consultation with the patient creates a customised treatment plan based on the clinical condition, type, and stage of cancer.