Postpartum period as the first six weeks after childbirth. Postpartum period can stretch up to 4-6 months with the mother herself coping and adapting physically and emotionally after childbirth.
Postpartum care can be categorised to different categories such as external , internal and mental care. For a new mother, she has to make sure she takes good care of herself in these three aspects during the postpartum period.
External care refers to the physical body such as dealing with the change in body shape, coping with breastfeeding problems like engorgement or sore nipples, caesarean incision or even hair loss issues.
Internal care refer to things like physical fatigue, body aches, afterbirth cramps, perineal pain or constipation problems.
Mental care refer to emotions such as anxiety, impatient, confidence level or low self esteem due to hormonal changes that trigger us to be more sensitive during postpartum period
Benefits of Proper Postpartum Care
- Your body will be able to recover faster to pre pregnancy state
- You will enjoy motherhood
- You will feel less tired or fatigue
- You will be able to get back to pre pregnancy body faster
- Your baby will be a happier baby.
- You will have better milk supply
- You will gain self confidence
- You will have greater energy level