Fortis follows a formal recruitment process through its HR department that entails on-site meetings. We do not demand or accept any monetary consideration from any individual against an offer letter or appointment or as a part of the recruitment process.Click Here | As per the GOI circular on price capping of Orthopaedic Knee implant by NPPA(National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority), new prices of knee implants have been implemented effective 16th August 2017. For details on knee implant pricing across our hospitals.Click Here. | As per GOI’s circular dated 29th March 2019 on price-capping of stents by NPPA (National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority), new prices of coronary stents are revised with effect from 01st April 2019. For details on stent pricing,Click Here | As per GOI Notification No. 03/2022 - Central Tax (Rate), GST of 5% is applicable* on all room charges exceeding Rs. 5000 per day (with the exception of ICU), for receiving treatment within our hospitals. (*On all discharges starting 18th July, 2022)

Gas Geyser Syndrome: Understanding the Risks & Precautions

Gas Geyser Syndrome

The sudden loss of consciousness in the bathroom can have various causes including seizures, head injuries, strokes, cardiac events, syncopal episodes, and exposure to toxins or poisons. These episodes can be highly distressing and may have long-term or even life-threatening consequences.


Many people opt for gas geysers to save money on electricity bills; however, they do not follow the necessary dos and don’ts, leading to accidents and health hazards. Over the past few years, there has been an increase in the number of citizens being rushed to hospitals after being unresponsive while having a bath. They are known to have been diagnosed with gas geyser syndrome (LPG) – wherein due to a lack of ventilation while the geyser is on, carbon monoxide is emitted and affects the person.


While in a few cases, due to timely hospitalization, the patients have recovered with minimal problems, in most cases, the person has been affected with long-term neurological issues like memory loss, seizures, or health problems like heart attack arrest


An 11-year-old boy was one such lucky person who had a timely escape. He was having a bath, and while doing so, he was talking to his mother as he did not wish to go to school. Then suddenly, he stopped responding to her. The mother thought the boy might be upset, which is why he was not answering was shocked when she heard a ‘thud’. She opened the bathroom door and saw her son lying on the floor. He was unresponsive but started responding after a few minutes. He was immediately rushed to the hospital as he complained of weakness and a heavy head. The tests post-hospitalization confirmed that he had inhaled carbon monoxide.

What happens when one inhales carbon monoxide (CO)?

When one inhales CO, it gets mixed with the blood. The haemoglobin in the blood gets attached to carbon monoxide, due to which the blood cannot provide oxygen to the body. Hence, when such patients come in, they are supplied with Hyperbaric oxygen treatment. This treatment helps in the circulation of oxygen through the blood in the body.


Also, unlike most gases, CO is odourless and colourless. Hence, acolorlessll not be aware even if the gas is in the atmosphere and if they are inhaling it. Also, as this gas is heavier and tends to be below in a room, children are at a greater risk of inhaling them than someone sitting and bathing.

Common symptoms of gas geyser syndrome

  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Nauseousness
  • Blackout
  • Seizures

Dos and don’ts while installing gas geyser

People should follow the necessary steps to keep themselves safe from such accidents.

  • Do not install a gas geyser in the bathroom; instead, set it up outside, in a well-ventilated area.
  • Keep the bathroom ventilated by installing an exhaust fan and opening the window. Due to this, carbon monoxide will not form as there will be enough balance of gases in the atmosphere.
  • If there is no source of ventilation, keep the bathroom door slightly open if possible.
  • Fill a bucket with hot water before going for a bath, and do not use the geyser while bathing.
  • Opt for an electric geyser instead of a gas geyser.


It is essential to take adequate measures while using a gas geyser and to immediately seek medical help if one is losing consciousness or is unresponsive, especially after a shower or bath.

Key Takeaway:

  1. Gas Geyser Syndrome is a condition caused by inhaling carbon monoxide (CO) emitted from a gas geyser in a poorly ventilated bathroom. It can result in long-term neurological issues, such as memory loss and seizures, and health problems like heart attack arrest.
  2. To prevent accidents, it is important to install the gas geyser outside in a well-ventilated area, keep the bathroom ventilated, and use an electric geyser instead.
  3. Symptoms of gas geyser syndrome include dizziness, headache, nausea, blackout, and seizures. If one experiences a loss of consciousness or is unresponsive after a shower or bath, it is essential to seek medical help immediately.

Medically Reviewed by Dr. Sameer Sadawarte

HOD & Sr. Consultant-Pediatrics

Fortis Hospital Mumbai

Or Give A Missed Call to

Request An Appointment