Dr Gurneet Singh Sawhney is among the new breed of hi-tech Neurosurgeons in India, who have been trained in the era of minimally invasive surgery and highly advanced, high precision technology, where a millimeter miss from the targeted spot in the brain can spell the difference between success and failure.
Armed with a M.Ch. in Neurosurgery (1st Rank) from the prestigious St John’s Medical College, Bangalore, he is one of the few formally trained neurosurgeons in the country in Microneurosurgery, Neuroendoscopy and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.
Dr Gurneet’s outstanding outcomes in the management of brain and spine trauma, his excellent results in surgery for challenging life-threatening brain conditions and his untiring efforts to ensure that his patients get treated, earned him recognition by the Times Group as the ‘Most Promising Neurosurgeon in Maharashtra – 2016’.
As an Assistant Professor at St John’s Medical College Bangalore, he has taught and mentored numerous budding neurosurgeons, general surgeons, MBBS students, nurses and paramedics to face the challenges posed by the demands of current advancement in techniques and technology. No wonder that he was a finalist in the ‘Young Scholars in Neurosurgery’- 2013 His surgical experience apart, Dr Gurneet is passionate about team building through imparting knowledge. This has enabled him to successfully treat patients across all walks of life, from 1 year old infants to senior citizens in their 80s, even in hospitals situated in smaller cities and towns, lacking sophisticated infrastructure.
Areas Of Interest:
- Neuroendoscopy – to access the brain through a coin sized hole in the skull or nose, to remove tumours
with minimal complications, risk, pain & scarring. He has a fellowship in Neuroendoscopy from the NSCB
Medical College, Jabalpur, 2017.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery – He has attended Hands-on training at a Cadaveric workshop at the
renowned MS Ramaiah Institute, 2017.
- Functional Neurosurgery encompassing Epilepsy surgery, Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) – for movement
disorders Parkinsonism, Dystonia, Essential Tremors and also for obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Vascular Neurosurgery including stroke surgery, intracerebral bleed (Brain Hemorrhage), aneurysm , AV
malformation, endovascular and open techniques.
- Neuro – oncology including all kinds malignant and benign brain tumours in both adults and pediatrics.
- Stereotactic neurosurgery – having focused keyhole biopsy and surgery for deep brain and brainstem
- Management of complex brain and spine trauma
He has to his credit various publications at National forums and in reputed publications. Dr Gurneet is deeply motivated about treating his patients and goes out of his way to help those who are unable to afford treatment.
A Highly ethical professional, he is very approachable and sensitive to the needs of his patients and their relatives as well. His multi-lingual skills (conversant in 10 languages) allow him to be at ease managing patients and their families from across the country, from all walks of life.