Dr Girija Suresh is an acclaimed ophthalmologist, with 20 years of experience at Fortis Mulund, one of the best multispeciality hospitals in the country. With her years of international experience in treating a range of eye diseases and deformities, she is often lauded for her innovative approach to performing complex eye surgeries. At Fortis Mulund, Dr Girija leverages the premium diagnostic paraphernalia to conduct tests and perform the complete range of rare, corrective eye surgeries in children as well as eye movement disorders in adults. Her quality of accuracy is evident in the number of successful sight restoration surgeries she has pioneered in her stint at Fortis Mulund. Dr. Suresh is skilled in surgically rectifying pediatric strabismus, commonly referred to as a squint or lazy eye. Though this condition afflicts only about 2-4 percent of children, if not treated early in childhood, it can prove to cause permanent loss of clear vision in an otherwise healthy eye. The state of the art visual medical technology at Fortis Mulund, coupled with the prowess of talented ophthalmologist Dr. Girija ensures they get treated successfully to eliminate double vision and to be able to see clearly in the future. Her dexterity in maneuvering high precision lasers often sees her performing revolutionary minimal invasive eye surgeries like phacoemulsification or cataract removal through laser technology, followed up by another innovative noninvasive surgical technique called the YAG capsulotomy to improve the clarity of vision post-cataract surgery. Having honed her skills in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of eye disorders right from those that require minor surgeries for vision correction, eyelid tear repair, and removal of cysts and lumps, to those that call for quick action such as accidents that need eye transplants, she is your go-to ophthalmologist at Fortis Mulund to give your eyes a better chance at vision and a better quality of life.
Dr Girija is highly proficient in performing major surgeries such as
• Squint surgery
• Phacoemulsification or cataract surgery
• Extra capsular cataract extractions
• Trabeculectomy to treat glaucoma
• DCR to unblock the tear ducts
• Enucleation or eye removal in cases of eye cancer
• Evisceration or removal of certain afflicted parts of the eye
• Penetrating eye injury repairs
• LASER Surgery
• YAG Capsulotomy for clarity of vision post-cataract surgery
• YAG Iridotomy for glaucoma treatment
• Argon laser to prevent the development of abnormal blood vessels behind the eye
Dr Girija also has innate interest in the medical treatment of Glaucoma, a visual loss-causing condition through prescription eye drops, oral medication, painless laser treatment or even surgery to ease the pressure of the optic nerve.
Dr Suresh is also focused on Diabetic Retinopathy to prevent diabetic patients from exacerbating their conditions leading to loss of vision.
Oculoplasty or plastic surgery to correct any eye deformities is a topic Dr Suresh seeks to further tap and treat with finesse, including ophthalmologic emergencies.
She is involved in conducting research in Disc evaluation in glaucoma using ocular coherence tomography.
• Dr Girija Suresh has been conferred with the Fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK
• She has extensive work experience as Clinical Attache, Paediatric Ophthalmology at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
• Staff Grade Ophthalmologist at Watford General Hospital, London, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and at Royal Oldham Hospital, UK
• During her stint at the Eye Bank of Canada, Toronto, besides training technicians and students in eye banking procedures, Dr Suresh was involved in preparing and processing donor corneas.