Dr Atul Limaye is a respected interventional cardiologist with decades of niche expertise in diagnosing and treating cardiovascular diseases. His global education and extensive experience in harnessing topnotch medical technology, which Fortis Mulund is best known for, makes him one of the most accomplished cardiologists in the country. Dr Limaye’s superior skills are seen in the way he adeptly diagnoses highly complex heart and blood vessel conditions in patients of all ages and charts out the most suitable and effective medications or minimal invasive treatment solutions wherever urgently required. His expertise encompasses the diagnosis of ischemic or coronary heart disease; abnormal heartbeat or arrhythmia; rheumatic heart disease; heart valve disease; stroke; and so on. His practical experience in administering apt medications and prescribing major lifestyle changes to his patients effectively has endeared him to them over the years.
Dr Limaye also leads the TAVR program at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, one of the very few selected centers in India with a high level of cardiac and heart surgery experience that has the expertise and advanced equipment required to perform this procedure. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is performed by a team of doctors including both interventional cardiologists and heart surgeons. With the latest imaging technology including a state-of-the-art cath lab and 3-D TEE probe available to help in planning and performing the TAVR procedure, Dr Limaye accurately plans the procedure which helps in reducing the risk of complications.
Dr Limaye’s high precision diagnosis of congenital heart abnormalities, especially in babies leading to their early interventions to save tiny lives, has been a benchmark in congenital heart disease treatment among his fraternity. His forte is performing highly skilled catheter-based interventions such as TAVR, angioplasty, stenting, heart valve repair and replacement, and the entire spectrum of cardiovascular interventions.
A distinguished member of the Royal College of Physicians, London, American Board of Medicine certified Interventional Cardiologist, and with Fellowships from world-renowned medical universities, Dr Limaye has a record of accomplishments.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Dr Limaye’s has expertise in transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and has treated many patients with this specialized technique. He studied the use of noninvasive techniques to assess myocardial blood flow, evaluate the pumping function of the heart as well as visualize the size and location of a heart attack. Among these, he has keen interest in myocardial perfusion imaging the most widely used diagnostic technique. He is especially interested in Cardiac computed tomography angiography (CTA), a noninvasive test that uses special X-rays to focus on the coronary arteries, allowing him to assess blockages in the heart’s arteries.
• Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
• Treatment of Ischemic heart disease through percutaneous coronary intervention (angioplasty), stent placement, coronary thrombectomy
• Valve disease treatment through valvuloplasty, percutaneous valve repair or replacement
• Treatment of Congenital heart abnormalities through repair of atrial and ventricular septal defects, closure of patent ductus arteriosus, angioplasty of the great vessels
He has a strong repertoire of prestigious Certifications and Fellowships:
• Certification in Interventional Cardiology from the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)
• Certification in Cardiovascular Diseases from ABIM
• Certification from Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology (CBNC), USA
• Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology, Icahn School of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, USA
• Fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine from Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Cente, Bronx, New York, USA
• Fellowship in Non-invasive Cardiology/Echocardiography from Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, USA
• Fellowship in Nuclear Cardiology/PET-CT/ Cardiac CTA, Division of Cardiovascular Imaging/Nuclear Cardiology from Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
• Dr Limaye honed his skills as Medical Director at St Croix Health Center, Princeton, Maine, USA for six years till 2004
• He also worked at Calais Regional Hospital, Calaix, Maine
• Awarded the Steel Authority of India Merit Scholarship throughout medical school education
• Graduated in the top 10 per cent of the class